April 5, 2016

Far Cry Primal

Date played: April 4th
Platform: PS4

After another hour of hunting, I finally found another rare striped wolf, killed it and skinned it... It was actually super frustrating and pretty boring, but at least I don't have to deal with that anymore. With my shiny new skin, I upgraded a hut in the village for my warrior friend.
The drowned Udam city
I spent most of my time completing side missions in the Northern parts of the map. One of the cooler missions, Rings of Fire, had me protecting 3 Wenja constructions from the Izila. I feel like the missions and enemies are getting stronger and stronger now. I've had multiple instances of my beast dying in combat and many times where I was overwhelmed and had to retreat to catch a breath, heal and get back into battle. Maybe I just need to take my time a bit more and lure enemies to me instead of barging in...

I built the double bow, a bow that shoots two arrows at once. Honestly, it seems very difficult to use. Every time I tried it, I missed with at least one of the arrows. I can see it being useful when fighting mammoths I guess, but anything smaller seems to be a waste of arrows. I also upgraded my throwing shards so that they break enemy masks.

Karoosh, the Wenja warrior, had a mission for me where I had to save a young mammoth from a Udam attack, then mount it and ride it to their camp to destroy it. It was pretty fun, and definitely a lot better than the vision quests where I controlled the woolly beasts.

I did a bunch of smaller missions, like a leopard beast hunt and following clues to find missing Wenja. My favorite of the night was a cave mission. As soon as I entered, I was stunned to see a beautiful lake and waterfall before me. I jumped into the water and had to find a way to escape the cave. Later, I discovered that this was in fact the remnants of an old Udam village, but it had been flooded somewhat recently. There were still a few Udam in there, which I killed as I made my way through the area.

Finally, before I stopped playing, I went for one of the weird trophies in the game. To get it, I had to jump off the highest point in the game. I climbed a huge rock that overlooked the whole map. It was a wonderful sight really, it's crazy how far video games have come visually... I jumped off into glory and.... smashed head first into a rock. I tried again and this time, I made it to the small lake hundreds of meters below. It was lots of fun!