April 27, 2016

DiRT Rally

Date played: April 26th
Platform: PC

DiRT Rally is a murderous son of a bitch of a game. It wants the player to fail. And that's ok, but boy, it's fucking hard.

I started the next rally and bought myself a new car, this time, in the 1970's class. I went with the Opel Kadett, after testing out the cars in free mode. This is a RWD car, which means that the rear end of the car is a fucking wild untameable beast... The others in the class were similar, but even harder to handle. I had so much trouble, I even switched from manual transmission to automatic.
The Opel Kadett is a wild creature who refuses to be tamed
I played for about an hour, and only managed to complete 3 stages with decent times. When I say decent, I mean 3rd place... I have no hope in hell of getting in first place yet. The rally itself isn't even that hard! It's on gravel, it's pretty wide open and it's not full of treacherous cliffs or worse, snow and ice.

Every moment, I felt like I was riding a savage beast that refused to be tamed by a mere human. The monstrous roar of the engines, the bone rattling shake of the chassis, the furious spin of the wheels, everything conspires against my success. I always felt like my run was on the brink of collapse, like a cowboy at a rodeo who got unlucky and had to ride the fiercest of bulls. It was fun, it was scary and when I made it to the end of a stage intact, it felt very rewarding, even if I was 3rd place. I love DiRT Rally, but holy shit it's demanding.