April 23, 2016

DiRT Rally

Date played: April 22nd
Platform: PC

I played a full, 4 stage rally with the Mini in Monaco. This rally has 4 stages, and most of them were on tarmac, so it was quite different from what I've played before. I'm really starting to trust the Mini, which is scary because I know I'm gonna have to learn how to drive a RWD car soon for the 1970's series...

I did very good times on the tarmac stages, getting first place in the first three stages. Monaco has a ton of tight corners, crazy hairpins and lots of dangerous spots, but it was nothing compared to the last stage. That's where half the stage is tarmac, with patches of ice, while the second half is all on ice. Ice is a real fucking bitch to drive on and it took me many attempts to simply keep the car on the road, let alone get a good time. I made it eventually, and won the rally.
Rallycross is really intense
After this, I was promoted to the Clubman level and I'll get to try out a different car in my next rally. I decided to try something different before that though, so I played a Rallycross event. Rallycross is very different than rally, since there are multiple cars on the tracks and they feature very short circuits. There are 4 qualifying heats, a semi-final and a final. I was happy with getting second or third place during the qualifying and the semi-final, but on the final, I absolutely wanted to win.

This became a gruelling battle where every inch and every millisecond counts. I fought hard, I drove fast and after many attempts, I got the first place finish, jumped up in the air and screamed out a satisfying "FUCK YEAH!". It felt great to succeed, since this game is so damn hard.