April 10, 2016

Assassin's Creed Syndicate

Evie blows up a carriage
Date played: April 9th
Platform: PS4

I've solved every "Dreadful Crime" in London! Most of my time with Assassin's Creed Syndicate was spent solving crimes with the novelette writer and his child apprentice. I must have played about 5 of these.

In one of them, a "medium" predicts his own death, then while giving a seance to a group, a flash of smoke appears and the man is stabbed in the chest, dying in his chair. In this case, it seemed like everyone had a motive for killing him so it was difficult to find the real killer. In another, a man was thrown off a train and died on impact. I had to ride the train, speaking to everyone on board, to unmask the murderer.

The most interesting one was about the most hated man in London. Now, this guy was shot, poisoned, stabbed and crushed by a crate, all in the span of 17 minutes. I had to figure out which of these things killed him and who the killer was. As I found clues, the time appeared near each location and clue. I had to use information from documents, people, footprints and objects to put it all together and find the real killer. It was very well made and was one of my favorite things in the game.

Eventually, after solving a bunch of crimes, I reached the final crime, where a guard was apparently killed in Buckingham Palace. Shit, I even spoke to Queen Victoria herself! I thought I had uncovered a plot to bomb the palace, and maybe even kill the Queen, but that was all bullshit. In reality, the whole quest chain was a way for the writer to get into the palace and steal one of the Queen's most treasured possessions, a jeweled scepter!

The guard was the novelist, who had used a spider venom (from earlier in the quest line) to appear dead and steal the scepter while I was busy with the fake bomb business... That's when I played one of the strangest sequences in the game. I was taken out of the world and into a weird environment where I lived through the memories of every crime scene. This put all the facts together, showing that the novelist had a nefarious plan all along. I then had to figure out how and why he did all these things. It was a clever way to present things.

Finally, Jacob and Evie teamed up to track him down and kill him. After all was solved, the kid who was with the novelist was confused, and didn't quite know what to do. Jacob suggested that he should try to write, like his mentor. It was then revealed that this kid, Artie, was none other than the famous writer, Arthur Conan Doyle!

I also played a mission for Charles Darwin where he thought a new type of flower had been discovered. This flower is reported to cause hallucinations when it is smelled. Soon enough, Evie found out that this was all fake, the hallucinations were being caused by a gas inside the flower pots. I hijacked a carriage that held the gas and drove it to a safe spot to destroy it. Along the way, I could use the gas to destroy enemy carriages that followed me, it was pretty cool.