July 13, 2011

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

Date played: July 12th
Platform: Playstation 3
Time played: 45 minutes
Session fun rating: 10/10

PSN has a little sale going on right now where a bunch of pretty good games are discounted.  The only game that I saw as a must-buy is Pac-Man Championship Edition DX.  I have the first game on Xbox 360 and I loved it.  This one is even better, faster, prettier and crazier!

The concept is to play Pac-Man and get the highest possible score within a certain time limit, the default being 5 minutes.  It's a really cool idea and it works just as well in this game as it did in the first.  The big new addition here is that there are sleeping ghosts sitting inside the mazes that will chase you if you get too close.  You might think that waking up ghosts is bad right?  Wrong.  The trick here is to gather a "train" of ghosts chasing Pac-Man for as long as possible before eating a power pellet.  Then the magic happens.  I grab a power pellet, I turn around and bulldoze through the train of ghosts!  The sounds and visuals go crazy and it just feels fucking good.
The best Pac-Man game ever made

I actually scored higher on my first run than on my second.  Then I played some different maps and modes including one that is played in the dark.  It's difficult to navigate a maze when you don't see it.  Also, I actually unlocked about five trophies after my first five minute game then got a few more as I tried new modes, yay!