July 7, 2011

Civilization V

Date played: July 6th
Platform: PC
Time played: 120 minutes
Session fun rating: 9/10

There is something I like to call comfort gaming.  I'm talking about games that I can always come back to and have a good time without having to dedicate my time to a story or career mode.  Some of these include Black Ops, Everyday Shooter, Audiosurf, Wipeout HD and Civilization V.

Civ V is so dangerous.  Playing for two hours felt like 10 minutes!  I actually trapped myself in a corner and capitulated in my first game.  I selected random settings so maybe I just got unlucky but basically, I didn't grow fast enough and when the Greeks declared war out of nowhere, I lost one of my three cities and was left with almost nothing so I decided to start over.
Samurais and Zeros sound awesome

The next game is going pretty well so far.  I'm using the Japanese and am playing on a very big map with 8 civilizations on board.  I have three cities close to valuable resources but there is a large desert that limits expansion in my starting area.  I have a feeling I have to grow big early to simply grab real estate without going to war.