July 24, 2011

Bastion

The art style works
Date played: July 23rd
Platform: Xbox 360
Time played: 60 minutes
Session fun rating: 8/10

Bastion is the first game I play on Xbox since...Halo Reach?  Part of the summer of arcade promotion, it's an action RPG with a great art style and some cool weapons.

I played through the first three or four levels.  It's hard to describe this game...  I mean, it's a little man walking around on platforms that build themselves in front of him.  He then fights enemies with hammers, bows, repeaters and other weapons.  My favorite combination so far is a repeater and a machete.  It's fast and efficient.  There are so many layers to this game.  I mean, you can add enhancements to your weapons, equip drinks to give you perks, select different types of magic, etc.

This is all brought together by the narrator.  It's pretty rare that games have prominent narrators, let alone good ones but Bastion pulls it off.  The guy is cool, funny and has a LOT of shit to say.  I can't wait to play more of this game.