July 25, 2011

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Date played: July 24th
Platform: Wii
Time played:  100 minutes
Session fun rating: 9/10

After playing a bit of NSMBW, I was in the mood for some more platforming so I popped in DKCR and beat the entire 6th world, themed around dinosaurs and desert-like environments.  These were some of the best levels in the game so far.  There was a mine cart level that stood out to me because I had to ride the cart inside a giant rolling egg.  It's some of the best level design I've seen in a platformer, on par with games like Super Mario World.

This game is begging for hand drawn art
The 6-k level was tough but not super frustrating, it was more about pattern recognition than reflexes.  I also liked the boss, a cool four legged dinosaur with a horn and some hardcore flame throwing abilities.  He wasn't very hard but he was definitely interesting.  On to World 7!