July 22, 2011

Killzone 3

Date played: July 21st
Platform: Playstation 3
Time played: 120 minutes
Session fun rating: 9/10

I played about an hour of online and an hour of the campaign last night.  I'm starting to get a better grip on the online mode and I like it but I find the LMG to be a little bit too inaccurate for the range I use it for.  Even at mid range, I miss more than I feel like I should.  Maybe a different weapon would work, I'll find out next time I guess.  I also unlocked the better turret and I've been getting a decent amount of kills with it.  It seems like a lot of players place them at the base and forget about them.  I've been putting them in more offensive positions and while it's risky and they do get destroyed quite a bit, they also help us win.

I played on a couple of different maps, all of them pretty cool.  I also started playing a mode where the objective changes randomly throughout the match.  It actually makes things really interesting and I wish more shooters would do that.

Then I played some of the campaign and let me tell you, this has got to be the best looking game on consoles. People complain about games like this, saying they are brown, grey or bland.  Killzone 3 is not one of these.  It's bursting with color and personality.  I played through a sniping section, killed some flamethrower wielding dudes, piloted a giant mech, sneaked around a Helghan forest and defended an ISA base camp.
Wow

The mech sequence was one of the coolest I've played in a while.  You get to control a giant mech that is easy to control, fast and responsive.  It shoots rockets and has a machine gun.  Sev (the main character) makes his way to his target while shooting tanks and enemy troops.  The reason I like this sequence so much is because of the look and feel.  There are fucking gigantic robots shooting mortars in the distance while you're blowing shit up.  It was amazing.  Then there was a stealth mission in a jungle full of alien creatures and plants.

This game rocks.