July 13, 2011

Magic The Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 demo

Date played: July 12th
Platform: Playstation 3
Time played: 45 minutes
Session fun rating: 8/10


Since PSN+ is expiring soon, I decided to try out the 2012 version to see if I should buy it or not.  There were a lot of changes done and since I played the original yesterday, it was still fresh in my mind.  First, the interface is mostly much better.  Everything flows better and looks better.  The only problem is that the text is now smaller and even on a 47" TV, it's somewhat hard to see.

Three VS One
There are three decks to play with in the demo.  The first is White and focuses on using equipment and cards that have benefits when equipped.  Equipment was not in the first game so it makes things a bit more interesting.  The second deck is Green and has a lot of big creatures with trample.  The third is Red but I haven't tried it yet.  I played the two regular battles included in the demo and while I lost once, I won the next two times.  I definitely preferred the White deck because it's fast and versatile.  The equipment is very powerful.

Then I played another mode where it's a 3 vs 1 battle.  While it was fun, we lost three times in a row.  The one person team gets a huge advantage because they have more health and can play "opportunity" cards.  These have unique effects, don't cost any mana and can be played every turn.  It seems like a fun mode but so far, it was unfair and too difficult to win.  I might buy this but I'm not sure yet.