May 25, 2011

Ridge Racer 3D

The second screen is almost useless in RR3D
Date played: May 24th
Platform: 3DS
Time played: 40 minutes
Session fun rating: 8/10

This game does exactly what it is supposed to do.  It's an easy to get into, quick to start, short burst game.  It's simple, fast, fun and satisfying.  I played through a few Category 3 GP's and I've been mainly using standard cars, not dynamic or mild.  I'm actually getting better at drifting, not that I was bad but now it's a bit more refined  than when I first started.  I was playing this during commercials and intermissions of the NHL playoff game between Vancouver and San Jose.

The one thing that would have made this game much better is online play.  Seriously, in this day and age, a racing game should have online play, regardless of platform.  So far, the 3DS kind of reminds me of the Dreamcast with lots of arcade games and fighting games.  I'm sure this will change with time though.