May 11, 2011

Crysis 2

Date played: May 10th
Platform: Playstation 3
Time played: 35 minutes
Session fun rating: 9/10

I finished Crysis 2!  I was very close to the end when I stopped playing the last time.  I only had to go through three more fights before finishing the game.  They were pretty tough but it was nothing like fighting a Pinger.  There were four new enemies at the end that I could consider a final boss I guess.  They were cloaked and had a lot of health but it was nothing I couldn't take care of with my trusty Grendel and a few grenades.

The ending was pretty cool with Alcatraz crawling Solid Snake-style through a spore tentacle thing.  The result was a giant shockwave that destroyed all Ceph in New York City.  There was also a cool flashback from Prophet that explained that the Ceph have been on Earth for a very long time and are located all over the world, opening the door to another sequel.
Crysis 2 is a fantastic game.

This was honestly one of the best single player shooters I've ever played.  The pacing was good, the graphics were amazing and most importantly, the firefights were fun.  Many FPS games seem to forget that what is important is fun action and good controls.  Like Bungie always said, get that 30 seconds of fun right then duplicate it throughout the game.  Crysis 2 does this.

The only thing that I could complain about is the hard to follow story and the occasional frame rate problems, mostly during cut-scenes.  Since PSN is still down, I think I'll just skip the multiplayer and trade this in when I get L.A. Noire next week.

If you like first person shooters, play Crysis 2.