May 15, 2011

F.E.A.R 2

Date played: May 14th
Platform: Playstation 3
Time played: 40 minutes
Session fun rating: 5/10

Meh.  The second level started off with my character sitting on an operating table receiving some kind of procedure while hallucinating at the same time.  Then when he woke up, most people in the building seem to be dead, doors are barricaded and a team of soldiers is going through the building to destroy any "evidence" of the Project Origin (Alma) research.  It seems that this includes people.

Either way, the level was mostly normal shooting dudes.  I picked up a shotgun which seemed a bit underpowered.  I also have slow motion as an ability now.  It's cool, it works well and I'm sure that as the game progresses, it will become a necessity.  One thing I don't really like is that when I use it, the enemies begin to glow blue.  It's useful because I can see the enemies better but it sucks because it's ugly as shit.
Weeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

One other thing that doesn't make sense is that I can slide pieces of cover and flip tables over to provide cover but it seems like the most useless thing in the world.  It takes a good amount of time to go through the animation and by the time it's done, I would have killed the enemies already.  Also, I seem to remember the AI to be smarter in the first game but maybe it's just old I guess.

I completed the second level, weird shit happened (Alma on a swing!) but I'm still shooting guys.  I also started the third level and really, there was nothing of note there yet, just men to shoot at.

Oh yeah, this game is gory too.  Sometimes shooting a guy the right way will obliterate their body.  Cool.