May 5, 2011

Call of Duty World at War

Date played: May 4th
Platform: Xbox 360
Time played: 60 minutes
Session fun rating: 1/10

Ok I admit, I caved.  I bought World at War for 20$ on Xbox because I really wanted to play some CoD and PSN is still down, preventing me from playing Black Ops.  This, my friends, was an enormous mistake.

First, it's important to know that I have not bought any map packs for World at War.  To my surprise, it took about 10 minutes before I actually found a match I could play because Treyarch were fucking stupid in the way they released their DLC.  It seems that all maps, that's three map packs at 10$ each, are in the regular playlist rotation.  This means that whenever I join a lobby, there's a good chance I will not have the map that we are supposed to play on.  Then, to add insult to injury, the game boots me out of the lobby and opens up the Xbox Live Marketplace so I can BUY them!  What insolence!  That wouldn't have bothered me that much but this is only the beginning of my problems with this game.

This nun knows what's up with World At War
Cheating.

Cheating was cool when it was in single player games.  Who cares what you do with your game right?  However, cheating in online games is never fun, at least not to me.  I'm talking real cheating here and RAMPANT!  Every match I've played there was at least one cheater.  One of the games only had one non-cheater on the other team.  This game is now broken.

The cheats seemed to involve two things.  Invincibility and no-clip.  One guy, I stuck with a sticky grenade, knifed AND shot about twelve times with the powerful DP-28 and he was still standing.  He then casually shot me to death with his pistol while standing still.  The no clip stuff is also ridiculous as players fly around the level and hide beneath the level geometry.

I feel robbed.  Fuck cheaters.  Oh yeah, I also spent some time sending offensive messages to some of them and I got a few replies, all of them wanting to show me how to cheat myself.  Don't you get it idiots? I don't find cheating fun in an online game like this.

The worst part is, the few times I had some real firefights with others, it was really fun.  This game still plays great and is still my second favorite Call of Duty game after Black Ops.  Such a shame.