January 30, 2014

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Date played: January 29th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I played Black Flag a LOT! This game is remarkably huge and feels quite a bit like a pirate themed GTA game. I've barely touched the story missions but I still spent a solid 30 hours in this game already. I only completed one story mission where Adewale and Edward decide to take over a fort on the Eastern side of the map. I guess this was meant as a tutorial on conquering forts, but it feels like ages since my first capture.

"Let's jump on board, and cut them to pieces." -Blackbeard
I spent a lot of time just fighting other ships at sea. I usually target the ships with lots of metal because it's been the hardest resource to find so far. I was able to upgrade my swivel gun for precision damage and added three broadside cannons. I also took the luxury of buying a new copper navigation wheel and some leather sails. It's useless, but a pirate has to indulge a bit. I also ended up hunting quite a bit to upgrade all of my new dart pouches. I hunted black panthers, killer whales and a few monkeys.

I unlocked a cool new mission type, templar hunts. James Kidd suggested to Edward that helping fellow assassins could help find 5 keys that would unlock an awesome piece of armor in the cove. These missions all had multiple chapters and were sort of mini-stories in themselves. The first I did was with a hot pirate chick who needed help fighting soldiers and their leaders. I helped her in battle, I blew up weapon caches and assassinated the leader with her. There was another interesting one where I had to sort out a quarrel between an pair of brothers, one being an assassin and the other a templar. I had to eavesdrop, steal and fight to victory. I'm truly enjoying my time with Black Flag.