January 18, 2014

Killzone Mercenary

Date played: January 18th
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 7/10

I finished Killzone Mercenary.

This was a good but fun shooter, easily the best I've played on a handheld, but definitely not up to par to Killzone 2 and 3. The last two missions were pretty standard. In the first, I was tasked with killing the ISA leader and blowing up their main command ship. I infiltrated the place to shoot, stab and blow up tons of ISA soldiers. In the end, I got my hands on the virus they were planning on using to wipe out the Helghast, found the leader, shot everyone and slapped that lady around for intel until I finally stuck a knife in her head.

The last mission is where things got more interesting. Still on the ship, I was contacted by Blackjack, the arms dealer. He proposed that I become and independent contractor and turn on the Helghast. I would destroy the virus, save the kid from earlier and make sure the war continues so that profits can keep rising for the business man. I shot some Helghast until I reached the deck, where my former mercenary colleague shot the Helghast leader in the head and asked me to hand over the virus so he could sell it to the highest bidder. I refused of course and we got into the final boss battle.
The final boss is the dude on the right...I didn't see it coming.

The battle was fun. I tried out a new piece of gear, the Porcupine missile, to take out the merc's dropship. I had to kill a bunch of his guards that kept pouring in from all sides while shooting at the aircraft. Eventually, I took it down and had a face to face battle with him. He has a shield and cannot be melee'd. He also had guards that would show up periodically. I had to shoot the guards, then some fuel rods when he got close to them to temporarily disable his shields, where I could now do some damage. In the end, I killed him and Blackjack erased all traces of me, ready for a new life.