January 12, 2014

Gravity Rush

Date played: January 11th
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 6/10

I finished Gravity Rush.

Urgh... this game could have been so much better. The concept is great, flying through the city feels amazing, the art style is awesome but fuck... the aerial combat is fucking hot garbage. My session started with the coolest level in the game, an abstract platforming section where I couldn't use gravity powers. It was visually pleasing, not frustrating at all and still sort of challenging as I had to figure out the right way to approach the puzzle.

Then I had to escape from the depths of the lost village where I fought the large worm. I had to navigate a large tunnel and at the end of it, I was confronted by a horde of enemies. This wouldn't be so bad, except that one of them shoots five large projectiles every three or four seconds. It also moves around pretty quickly, a combination for extreme frustration. I had to restart this section about four times before I won.
This was my favorite sequence

The next mission was a final confrontation with the worm from earlier. This was the most interesting boss battle in the game. That thing is huge and fun to fight. I finally reached town to discover that a year had passed in what seemed like a week. The military have taken over the entire town and are ruling with an iron fist. I completed a mission for a scientist who wanted me to place sensors around the city to detect Navi. I fought a bunch of them along the way of course.

In the end, it was revealed that the doctor was the mayor-dictator's right hand man... They built a weapon that was supposed to take out the Nevi, but it turns out it WAS a Nevi! That was the final boss battle, a pretty standard fight on a larger scale. Raven helped me take it out and save the town.

While Gravity Rush was fun in general, it didn't make a lick of fucking sense. I still have no idea what the game is really about, I don't understand anything that happened and I'm still confused as hell. At least it looked cool...