January 14, 2014

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Date played: January 12th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

I picked all the extra collectibles in the northern section of the map, mainly treasure chests and animus fragments. Along the way, I battled with a ton of enemy ships which I plundered successfully. I played through a major mission, the last of sequence 3. I had to sail south to a cove where the the large frigate that we scoped out earlier was docked. This turned out to be a huge settlement.

The mission was an enjoyable run through the jungle, where I took pleasure in stealthily killing guards, Tenchu-style. I even battled with some white jaguars, creatures I was only able to beat with my pistols so far. After a run through the beautiful jungle, filled with waterfalls and even a rainbow, I got to the settlement. I killed all the guards there without getting caught, then climbed on the docked ship. I assassinated the captain and took possession of the beast, which will now protect Nassau.
Edward, Jungler extraordinaire

This is where I was forced out of the animus again. This time, I had a meeting with Olivier, Abstergo's big boss, in his amazing penthouse office. He told me to keep investigating the details of the artefact mentioned by the Templars, but to keep quiet about it. As I left, I was contacted by an "IT guy" who wanted me to help him "procure" some files. He gave me access to level 1 areas in the complex and showed me how to hack computers. While the explanation of that stuff is really fucking dumb, I found tons of interesting stuff by hacking, including some recordings featuring Desmond and more details on the weird history of Abstergo.

I went back in the animus. The game opens up a bit more here as I now have possession of the cove I took over earlier. This is now my home town and I can upgrade it to gain advantages. I bought a tavern, to recruit pirates and hear rumours. I also bought a general store and a ship upgrade shop. The best part is my mansion that sits on top of a large cliff. I can upgrade things in it and started with beautifying the outdoor panels. While this is probably a complete waste of money, it's fun so I did it anyway. I now have a mission that takes me to the far west of the map, but I think I'll capture a fort and clear out the area before moving on.