January 27, 2014

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Date played: January 26th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

I played a ton of AC IV and cleaned up two areas to the West. I ran into a humpback whale and killed it. I gathered tons of chests and animus fragments. I completed two assassination missions and a naval contract, neither of which were very special, though they were fun. I actually spent a lot of time just fighting other ships, mainly to gather metal so that I could upgrade my vessel. I was pretty successful, though I stuck to relatively small ships. I ended up upgrading my mortars twice, they are now much more powerful, making long range combat much easier.

Edward learns about the Assassins
One of the areas I explored was an old Mayan ruin of sorts. I got a few Mayan stones, killed a black panther and stabbed a bunch of dudes. Finally, I completed a good portion of the main story sequence. I went to the location hinted at by James Kidd, the young pirate, and had to stealthily make my way in to find him. It turns out, the whole place was filled with Assassins. This was a pretty frustrating mission because I couldn't kill anyone of be detected at all. I had to restart a few times. Eventually, made it through safely by ambushing enemies from bushes and from behind pillars and such. It was then revealed that Kidd himself is an Assassin and that I set back their efforts a lot by stealing the maps from the guy in the beginning of the game.

I then explored a tomb with Kidd where I learned how to swim underwater, solved a simple block puzzle and received a blow dart. The next part of the mission had me using the blow dart to put enemies to sleep or to attack each other. It's a pretty useful tool and I can see myself using the berserk stuff quite a bit, but we'll see if it works out.