January 6, 2014

Need For Speed Rivals

Date played: January 5th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 8/10

They patched Rivals and fixed the awful framerate issues that plagued the game. I booted it up again and it's a much better experience for it. The game now plays like a proper racing game, albeit not at 60 FPS, but still good enough. I finally started the cop career and I think I am enjoying it a bit more than the racer career. There's less stuff to spend points on, and the special tech available is more interesting. For instance, there is a spike strip, a road block and a forward ram move that helps take out racers. I made it to level 7 of the career. The events are rapid response, a sort of time trial where I was penalised for damaging the car, interceptor where I have to take out one racer and the best, hot pursuit, where I had to take out three racers.

I like playing as a cop
I got tons of cool cars, all of which are free, including an Aston Martin, a Camaro that I used a lot, and a Viper that I like quite a bit. I even had a fellow player join in on a hot pursuit, he helped me take out the racers. If there's one thing I don't like about this game it's that it's pretty difficult to play against others. There are only 6 players in a lobby and they could be anywhere in the huge map... Most Wanted was a lot better about this stuff.