January 26, 2014

Pokemon Y

Date played: January 25th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 7/10

I finished Pokemon Y!

The 7th gym leader was a total pushover... Hell the gym itself was nothing but a corridor with 4 trainers and a simple puzzle. I headed straight to Victory Road after that. I wasn't expecting it to be as long as it was though. I mean, I trekked across a multitude of caves, bodies of water, grasslands and cliffs to finally reach the Elite Four. Along the way, I captured a good amount of new Pokemon, many of them a lot stronger than what I was used to encounter so far. I mostly used Yveltal because I like him so much... He reached level 80 by the time I was done with the place. When I was happy with his level, I swapped in Gardevoir, Venusaur and Greninja. The dungeon was so long that I ran out of PP points for many moves and resorted to item use to keep going.

Finally, I reached the Elite Four and fought them. The first was Fire based, but Greninja made short work of them, killing all the enemies in one hit. The second was Steel based which gave me a bit more trouble. I started with Blaziken for his fire attacks, but he took too many hits and I had to swap in Yveltal to finish the job. The third was Dragon based where Yveltal did all the work. Finally, I took out the Water based guy by using Venusaur and his strong grass attacks.
I finished my first Pokemon game!

I finally confronted the Champion that had a large variety of different types, but Yveltal was so strong that it was a piece of cake. His HP absorbing attack helped a lot. In the end, I got a parade and that was pretty much it. This is the first Pokemon game I play a lot of, let alone finish. It's the kind of game that is really good when you need something mindless to play. It works well when watching TV or doing other menial tasks. I don't see myself playing another one of these for a while though, I kind of have my fill.