January 23, 2014

Skylanders Giants

Date played: January 23rd
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 6/10

My daughter was a big fan of Pikmin, but since we finished it, she has taken a liking to Skylanders a bit more. She really wanted to play it tonight so we sat down and played through a new level, chapter 7. This was easily the weirdest setting in the game yet. Without a doubt, it was also the level with the worst voice acting I've heard in a long time.
Our warriors

The ship is damaged (again...) and must land on a nearby island. At first, it looks like a grim, sad place with cardboard cut-out buildings, vegetation and even inhabitants. I found some switches that turn the world....well, "on" I guess. The colors become very vibrant, the buildings become 3D spaces and the characters come to life. Ultimately, it was a very boring level though as it really didn't have much going for it, except for the boss.

This was a bonafide boss fight. I had to damage it, kill it's minions and avoid a vacuum-like attack. The boss is a wizard that could switch between the two worlds at will. I had to switch worlds on the fly to avoid it's attacks and grab some healing items. It was pretty cool I have to admit. Prism Break did all the work in this level, with only a few spots that required I use Tree Rex.