December 13, 2015

Yoshi's Woolly World

Date played: December 13th
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 9/10

As is the usual routine, my 5 year old daughter and I played video games on Sunday morning! We started by going into some of the levels we had already completed to gather all the yarn balls and flowers. Some of these things are very well hidden... I was able to get most of them by searching every little bit of each level. Unfortunately, that wasn't quite enough in a few cases, and we had to resort to Youtube guides twice.

Once we had all of the flowers and yarn balls, we took on the final level of the second world, a boss castle. There were cool elements here, including some fiery zippers and yarn spitting fire dogs. The final boss was a giant version of one of these dogs. I dodged streams of fire and giant yarn balls and took him out.

Because I had all the flowers in the world, I unlocked a secret, very difficult level. This whole level was a giant puzzle separated into three areas. In the first, I had to throw a turtle shell then follow it as it sped through the level on a path above Yoshi. The second area was tougher, where I had to throw yarn balls at a jumping enemy to make him hit switches. It required really good timing and fast execution. Finally, the third area was pretty damn crazy, forcing me to make a mole follow me through the level to hit a switch. The problem is that the fucking rodent likes to stay exactly where Yoshi is, making it way too easy to kill it by accident. After a baker's dozen of attempts, I finally got it. It felt great!
Sooooooo fucking cute!
I played the first two levels of the third world, which is themed around sweets and other fun kid stuff. The first level had me jumping on adorable cookies and other delicious baked goods. The second was a challenging romp through a variety of knit items like stars, the Sun, the Moon and the Earth. There was even a very cute rocket ship! Yoshi's Woolly World has to be the cutest, most adorable video game ever made...