December 15, 2015

Xeodrifter

Date played: December 14th
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 8/10

I finished Xeodrifter!

Something weird happened though, it seems like my game didn't save properly the last time I played, so I had to replay a section and boss to regain the rocket boost ability. Then I explored another are to reach the next boss and got myself the solar flare ability, a very powerful charged shot that can destroy shields on the boss, and to destroy certain obstacles, revealing new paths.
The xeodrifter is a cool character
After another area and another boss, I found the last ability, the Phaze power, which allows the xeodrifter to pass through thin walls. When I beat the final boss, he pulled me into a sort of alternate dimension where my vision was blurred and I was attacked by giant tentacles... After a few minutes of treacherous navigation through that environment, I found the warp core I needed for my ship and completed the game.

I liked Xeodrifter quite a bit. It does a lot of things well, like it's colorful graphics and art style, controls that respond well and feel right, cool enemies and boss battles and fun exploration. I only wish it had more boss variety... I mean, I beat the same fucking creature about 8 times, with only slight variations in it's fighting style. Still, I enjoyed the game a lot and I'm glad I played it.