December 23, 2015

Star Wars Battlefront

Date played: December 22nd
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 7/10

I saw The Force Awakens at the theatre on Monday and it was fucking awesome! This got me in the mood for some Star Wars video games, so I jumped into Battlefront and played three matches of Supremacy.

The first match was set on Sullust, where the terrain is littered with volcanic rock and lava streams. It took me a few minutes to get back into the game, since I haven't played it in a while, but it wasn't too long before I was blasting Storm Troopers and blowing up AT-ST's. Now that people have leveled up a lot, there's some new weapons on the battlefield that I have to be aware of, like a long range homing pistol and some badass sniper rifles.

My daughter watched me play since she is now a little Star Wars fan, having recently watched the prequel trilogy. When she spotted Palpatine and Darth Vader, she was in awe!  When Vader was defeated in the match, she told me he was "Gone to another planet, but he might come back"... It was adorable.
Jakku looks incredible!
The next two matches took place on Jakku. This new planet wasn't there when I played the last time, so that was cool. It's also prominently featured in the new movie, so it was great to see it in the game. I flew a Tie Fighter for a while, though I'm pretty much useless in those things. I tend to be better at taking over control points than anything else. I'm using a new, long range heavy blaster. It's a bit too inaccurate honestly, but it works well to create suppressing fire and keep enemies moving. I mean, I get kills with it, and I ended up in the top 5 on my team for both matches, so it works well enough, but I still feel I haven't really found my weapon in this game.