December 8, 2015

Fallout 4

Date played: December 7th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

Dunwich Borers is one hell of a big mine... I fought a bunch of raider inside the mine as I went deeper and deeper. There were terminals scattered about that told an interesting story about competitiveness between section managers, cost cutting measures and even a company family picnic. As I got deeper into the mine, I found and fought some feral ghouls.

At the very end of the mine, I had some weird, 2-3 second long flashbacks that showed the workers before they became ghouls... All the project managers were ghouls, so I killed them and dove into a very deep pool in the middle of the room. I ate some mirelurk cakes to gain temporary underwater breathing, put on my Hazmat suit to resist the radiation, turned on my headlamp and dove down the hole. At the bottom, I found an altar along with a very cool, unique knife that seems very powerful. It's too bad I don't have a melee character, it seems like a really cool weapon to use.

After this whole quest, I decided I should continue the Brotherhood of Steel missions. For a while now, I've been seeing Brotherhood vertibirds flying over the skies of the Commonwealth, shooting at Super Mutants and raiders. I also saw their enormous flying base from afar, the Prydwen, so I was curious to know what they are up to. I met with Paladin Danse who informed me that we had been summoned on the giant ship to meet with some Brotherhood leaders.

I was officially made a Knight of the Brotherhood and given a few missions from people aboard the ship. I met everyone and just like the Railroad, there are some awesome people that are part of the Brotherhood. The most interesting of them is a lady who lost both her legs during a mission. She wears power armor at all times, which effectively gives her legs, though they are a bit slower than real legs.

I've got a bunch of missions to do for the Brotherhood, but something had been nagging at me for a while. I never completed the Silver Shroud quest line... so I decided to get that one done. I put on my Silver Shroud armor and hat, some sunglasses and headed south of Diamond City to a nearby hospital. This was a completely new area for me, so I loved discovering new things along the way. At the hospital, I killed a lot of raiders then reached the room where a raider boss was waiting, threatening to kill my friend who sent me on the Silver Shroud series of missions.
The Silver Shroud quest line is glorious
This turned out to be one of my favorite scenes in the game yet! As usual, I kept up the Silver Shroud's persona by "speaking as the Shroud". The raider boss was surrounded by 3 of his thugs while he held my friend at gunpoint. It turns out, the boss didn't believe a second that I was more than just a normal person, but his thugs were terrified of the Shroud and ran off! This gave me the opportunity to shoot the raider boss in the head before he could hurt my little ghoul buddy. Scared, he gave up on the Silver Shroud and went back home... I think this was one of the coolest stories in the game, particularly because it gave some really fun dialogue options. I still have to get back to Good Neighbour to complete the mission.