December 29, 2015

Tearaway Unfolded

Date played: December 28th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 8/10

I received Tearaway Unfolded as a Christmas gift and tried it out with my daughter yesterday. This game is very unique, it's sort of a puzzle game where I control a character made of paper. The visual style really appeals to me, as it's made to look like a giant craft project. Everything in the game is made of paper and it looks like it could have been crafted by hand.

There's a lot of weird stuff going on with the controls in this game. For example, I can shine the PS4 controller's light bar into the game to turn objects from newspaper into colorful crafted items, The light can also be used to herd enemies to specific areas and activate objects. There are jumping pads that are activated by pressing the touch pad too.
Our heroine takes a pic with the squirrel king and our custom made crown
My daughter very much enjoyed a segment where we had to "cut out" a crown for the king of squirrels. This meant we had to draw on the touch pad to make shapes and decorate the crown. It then gets worn in game by the squirrel. Overall, I think Tearaway is very very cute, and the paper craft theme makes the game a lot more interesting than it would be otherwise.