December 6, 2015

Fallout 4

Date played: December 5th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

Vault 81 had one more little quest to complete, where I gave a speech to schoolchildren about the dangers of the Commonwealth. After this was done, I stopped by the vendor inside the vault and saw that she had a pair of excellent arm protection items, but they were 11000 caps each, while I only had about 8000. I spent much of the following hour cleaning up my inventory at Sanctuary to scrape together the most valuable useless items I had. I put on my charisma gear, I took some drugs to make my bartering skill better and went back to the vendor. I came out of it with the two items and 4000 caps left over!

Equipped with my new gear, I investigated a lead that led me to Cabot house. I met with Jack Cabot, a scientist who lives in the house with his mother and sister. He hired me to do odd jobs for him. He runs some experiments out of the Parsons Asylum, a mental hospital. Some raiders have been messing with the place, so I helped by killing all the raiders. The next mission sent me to find his missing sister. This was one of the cooler little side missions in the game so far. The sister was charmed by a small-time cult leader, then kept locked in a room, presumably as a sex slave. Instead of going in guns blazing, I donned my charisma gear and convinced the cult leader to release her.

That's when shit became really interesting. Back at Cabot house, it quickly became clear that there's some weird fucking shit going on. It started when more raiders attacked the asylum, and Jack Cabot became desperate to stop them from reaching the basement. He warned me that some very dangerous things were hidden in the basement, so for the first time in the game, I donned my power armor and prepared for a tough battle.
I love my power armor, but I never really need it...
There were some very strong raiders there, but nothing I couldn't have handled without the armor. The real kicker was the basement though. It turns out, Jack Cabot and his family are all more than 400 years old, thanks to a special serum created by Jack. His father was "possessed" by a weird artifact that sits on his head like a helmet, so he must be contained in a special cell. The artifact grants him incredible strength and some telekinesis abilities, and some form of immortality of course.

However, once I was in the basement, I had the choice of either killing the father or freeing him. Maybe it's my overwhelming curiosity that pushed me to do it, but I released him. I hope I haven't done something horribly wrong...