December 9, 2015

Final Fantasy VI

Date played: December 8th
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 8/10

Every once in a while, I get the urge to play FFVI. As I've mentioned before, I've never completed this game. It was the kind of game that I would rent at the video store every few weeks when I was a kid, but had to start over every time because the save file had been erased. I intend to complete the game one day, but I only play it every once in a while.

With Sabin and Celes, I continued following the mysterious thief that looked a lot like Edgar, the King of Figaro and brother of Sabin. We followed him through some caves and eventually, we entered Figaro castle through a secret entrance underground. We fought a bunch of monsters here, then reached the treasure room where the group of thieves was trying to retrieve some loot. While the thieves were stealing stuff, it was finally revealed that the man was indeed Edgar when he asked for our help to fight a boss before the treasure room!
On the left, Edgar, on the right, Sabin
The boss was just a big mess of tentacles, with 4 individual targets. I got through pretty easily, with Celes healing and casting a few spells, Sabin hitting hard and Edgar using tools to deal heavy damage. After the battle, we got back inside Figaro Castle proper where Edgar and Sabin had a heartfelt conversation about the state of the world, then the team headed out to find more of their friends.