February 1, 2016

Rocket League

Date played: January 31st
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 8/10

I love playing a few rounds of Rocket League at the end of the night. Last night, I played a few in the ranked 3v3 playlists. I played rather well, though I had more of a support role than usual. Because of the way I play, and because players are better and better as I rank up, I tend to be behind the center line in a defensive position often. Don't get me wrong, I'm still playing with an offensive mindset, waiting for opportunities to strike the ball deep in the opponent's zone, but because of the high speed of play and the prominence of aerial shots at this skill level, it kind of forces me back a little bit.

Ranked play is very difficult and challenging
This actually led to a lot of saves and assists as opposed to goals. I got the playmaker award multiple times, given to any player who makes 3 assists in one match. I also got a few savior awards, given to players who make 3 saves in a match. It's not that I try to be a goaltender, it's that I just end up being in the right place at the right time somehow.

I went back to some unranked play for a few matches and it's surprisingly easy to dominate the field. Sure, there's often a player or two that can play well, but there are a lot of people who are still learning the game, or who just aren't very good in general. It's also harder to set up good plays because my teammates aren't always great either...