February 8, 2016

XCOM 2

Date played: February 7th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 9/10

I really wish I had more time to play video games yesterday, but it was a busy day, so I only managed to complete one mission in XCOM. This was the first time where I had to choose between two missions. There's not enough time to complete both missions, so I had to pick wisely. The one I picked had me destroy a sort of communication antennae to prevent a UFO from chasing the Avenger.
I love my sniper units
I had some wounded soldiers that were still recovering, so I had to head out with two rookies. I'm happy to report that they survived the encounter and have been promoted! I actually had two snipers on the team for the mission, which doesn't give me a lot of mobility, but it gave me lots of firepower. I carefully advanced towards the objective, killing Sectoids and Advent soldiers as fast as I could. one my female soldiers panicked and almost ruined the mission with her erratic behavior, but thankfully, I got lucky.

Luck does play a big part in this game. For example, my most experienced sniper HAD to successfully hit a Sectoid on a clutch shot or it would spell the end of my team. With a 59% chance of hit, it was a big risk to take, but thankfully, mercifully, he made the shot and killed the most dangerous enemy on the map.

XCOM 2 also seems to have a split personality. Most of the missions have a turn timer, which means you have to hurry, but also, enemies are so fucking dangerous that it's almost impossible to move quickly. This turns most battles into a tight balance between getting the objective done quickly and moving safely. I can't wait to play some more and continue my battle against the alien invaders.