February 29, 2016

Puzzle & Dragons Z + Super Mario Bros. Edition

Date played: February 28th and 29th
Platform: 3DS

My daughter has started playing Pokemon X on an old 2DS we had lying around. She's only 5 years old, so she needs lots of help, mostly to read what the characters are saying. As I was helping her with that, I felt like it would be a good time to play something on 3DS also, so I picked up Puzzle & Dragons Z + Super Mario Bros. Edition from the eShop.

The game is a real simple match 3 game. The trick is that, like Pokemon Shuffle, the pieces can be moved anywhere on the board. This might sound like it makes it easy, but honestly, I died multiple times. That's because the whole premise of the game is fight enemies my matching gems of the same color. I also have my own guys that attack and have their own stats, they can even level up.

I played the Mario portion of the game a little bit and it was fun, but it's also a bit confusing sometimes. Like, I'll attack a guy and I won't really know why I did amazing damage or why I barely hit him. I guess I just need to spend more time playing to learn how it really works. It's cool to see Mario characters in a game like this though. I used Mario and Luigi, along with some basic enemies like goombas and koopas.