February 11, 2016

SteamWorld Heist

Date played: February 10th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 9/10

I finished SteamWorld Heist!

It turns out I was real close to the end, with only a few normal levels left before the final boss battle. Piper, Beatrix and Sally reached the maximum level, 10, while Ivan reached level 9. I bought some new gear, including a completely savage minigun for Beatrix that shreds enemies apart, and a sniper pistol that can shoot twice in one turn for piper.
My final team from left to right: Ivan, Piper, Sally and Beatrix
The final boss battle was cool, but a little bit on the easy side. The Vectron leader is a small robot who pilots a large, spherical laser gun. Every turn, it would rotate to aim at one of my soldiers, then would fire on the next turn. This made the battle relatively easy, since all I had to do was take care of the minions and move out of the way of the laser. I also had to aim at a specific half of the sphere and take out some shields occasionally, but in all honesty, it was pretty easy compared to some of the other battles in the game.

In the end, the Cowbots saved the galaxy! I really enjoyed SteamWorld Heist. It took some of the best elements of XCOM and made them simpler, funnier and transformed the whole thing into 2D. I kind of wish there had been another world, or a few extra bonus levels, but I'm still really happy with the game. There's a New Game + option where every character is unlocked at the start, so I played the first few missions with some of the units I never tried and had a good time, but I doubt that I'll go back to it.