February 15, 2016

XCOM 2

Date played: February 14th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 10/10

Man, this game is fucking hardcore.

The pressure is always on. Soldiers are wounded, aliens are building their Avatar project, there's never enough money, there's always something that NEEDS to be upgraded. XCOM 2 does not take it's foot off the pedal. This makes it a very stressful game, but also a very rewarding game.

I played a variety of missions, each more critically important than the last. I decided to tackle the blacksite base, a mission that is important to the story. It was a tough one though... I had to steal a mysterious vial from the facility, then escape the area. The problem is that I was faced with a series of dangerous enemies.

Sectoids are becoming less of a problem as I am dealing more damage and I'm used to their antics. I still take them out first though, since they have some tricks that are quite difficult to deal with. Advent soldiers are just fodder enemies, though the stun lancers are still dangerous. Mutons, however, are big fucking bitches. The main problem is that they have a lot of health, plus they have some armor. Armor will decrease damage taken, unless it's shredded by a grenadier or grenades. On this level, I even fought a Codex, the mysterious, cloning females. They are quite dangerous, but can be handled if I'm careful. I still have to be wary around Vipers and I make them a priority. Finally, there are now some robotic soldiers that are very deadly and heavily armored.
Samus Aran, my favorite grenadier, attacks a Muton at point blank
I stole the vial and escaped, though it took me a few attempts... I completed a few more missions, though none were are intense as this one. I made some pretty big investments in my Avenger. I built a new comms station to expand my territory. I hired engineers and scientists. I researched a bunch of new weapons and tools. The biggest upgrade granted me my 6th and final spot for a soldier in my squad. I also upgraded my rifles, snipers, pistols and machine guns.

I've got my sights on an alien facility that is a key part of the Avatar project, but it's kind of tricky getting there on time and being well equipped at the same time...