February 7, 2016

XCOM 2

Date played: February 6th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 10/10

Back in 2012, XCOM: Enemy Unknown was my favorite game of the year. Last year, when I heard that there was a sequel in the works, I couldn't have been more excited! Finally, XCOM 2 is out and it's one of the rare games that I had to buy on it's release day. After the events of the first game, humanity has been enslaved by it's alien invaders. There's a new political power called Advent that acts as a link between the humans and the aliens. It's also quite clear that some humans have been "transformed" into aliens. They look almost human, except for their deformed, horrific faces.
It's finally here!
The resistance, XCOM, is trying to take out Advent. Their only real tool is the Avenger, a large airship that lets the team travel around the world. It wasn't long before I had a small team of 4 soldiers and I was heading into the field to destroy alien scum.

XCOM 2 is fucking ruthless. Aliens are very dangerous, always deadly and smarter than you would expect... They flank, position themselves well and use every ability to make the player's life a fucking nightmare. Of the 4 or 5 battles I've fought, I've lost 4 soldiers already... The worst part is, once a unit is dead, they just don't come back.

I spent some time customizing my characters with my daughter's help. Of course, this means I now have a completely pink lady and some brightly colored armor for my squad. As in the first game, there is also a large base to customize and maintain. If one thing is true about XCOM, it's that there's never enough money, never enough time and never enough people... I completed a few research projects, including some gooey alien autopsies, and gained a few new abilities. I just can't wait to get back into the game and bask in it's cruel, dangerous world.