February 28, 2016

Far Cry Primal

Date played: February 27th
Platform: PS4

I bought Far Cry Primal!

I haven't played a Far Cry game since Far Cry Instincts back on the original Xbox. Far Cry 3 and 4 seemed like really good games, but I just never got around to playing them. However, when I first saw the trailer for Primal, I was hooked right away. I'm a man that loves the primitive humans of 10 000 BC who lived alongside mammoths, sabre-tooth tigers and other extinct animals, so Primal's theme struck a chord with me.

The game opens with Takkar, the hero, hunting mammoths with his small tribe. Right away, the incredible visuals impressed me. Faces are highly detailed, lighting effects are pretty and the world itself is very beautiful. It's a dangerous place though. I sneaked around in the bushes with my spear until the time was right to attack a peaceful mammoth. I threw spears at it and chased it down until it was dead. That's when a dangerous sabre-tooth tiger attacked us, trying to steal our prey's body. The tiger killed my entire crew and Takkar stranded, alone, with no food and no weapons.

It seems like gathering materials and crafting will play an important role in this game. I picked up some stones, branches and cattail and built a bow. I then hunted goats to gather meat and heal myself. In the land of Oros, there are three tribes.The Wenja seem to be the "nice" ones, another is full of cannibals and the last is a master of fire. I must find the remaining Wenja and join them.

After exploring a cave and following the tracks of the Wenja with my "hunter vision", I found out that most of them have been killed. I saved one of them from a sabre-tooth tiger attack, a woman named Sayla. We found a nice spot to build our home and I was finally let loose into the game's large open world.
Sayla, my first friend
There's a lot going on here. There's crafting, where I built a bow, a club, a spear and some carrying bags. There's a big skill tree, where I used the xp I earned to buy new abilities. There's a huge focus on hunting, at least so far, where each animal provides materials for building and crafting. Fire plays a big role too, as I can set entire fields on fire with my torch to scare away dangerous animals. The animals are all really cool too. There are goats, deer, bears, wolves, tigers, birds, jaguars, boars and tons of other cool stuff.

I went out and explored quite a bit, finding materials and other collectibles. I reached a campsite, which acts as a fast travel point and resting spot. I even fought some of the cannibals that live in Oros. I'm really excited to see more of this game, I just love the tone and theme so much.