February 25, 2016

XCOM 2

Date played: February 24th
Platform: PC

I made some good progress in my battle against the alien invaders. It started with a difficult mission where I had to capture or kill an enemy VIP. The turn timer was really tight on this mission, so I had to hustle. In fact, near the end of the mission, I simply didn't have enough turns left to reach the extraction point, so I had to restart from the beginning. I moved more aggressively this time and while it was still rough, I made it through. I think my favorite class is the grenadier. They have insane damage potential with their grenades and they shred enemy armor. They are a bit hard to use sometimes, since they only have so much grenade ammo, but on this mission, I killed 3 enemies in one shot and severely wounded another.
Grenadiers are awesome
The next mission was an alien retaliation who attacked one of my bases. I had to rescue civilians and fought with some dangerous Chryssalids. One of my rangers, Link Inpark, proved to be extremely powerful against these vicious enemies. Bladestorm is an awesome ability where the ranger will attack anything that comes into melee range with his sword. It's incredibly powerful against units like the Chryssalids.

Back on the Avenger, I've made some serious progress again. I've unlocked the ability to build and research plasma weapons, just like what the aliens use. I've managed to build a pistol and assault rifle with the technology, and am researching others. I've also completed my psi lab and upgraded my comms stations. In the psi lab, I trained both Colonel Mustard and Beetlejuice to be psi soldiers. It's a weird system, where I get to pick one of three abilities to train, seemingly at random.

The next mission had me destroy a communications terminal, so I took Colonel Mustard out on his first mission and he proved to be rather useful. One of his moves is like the Sectoid's, where I inflict a random psychological illness on my enemy. I got to mind control an Advent soldier, which helped me defeat a new enemy, the Sectopod.

Sectopods are giant, bipedal robots armed to the teeth. They are extremely dangerous because they have long range, lots of armor and they hit harder than anything else in the game. I had to be cautious, but I took it down, along with the communications terminal.