February 13, 2016

XCOM 2

Date played: February 12th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 9/10

After the little Twitch experiment, I showed XCOM 2 to my brother, playing through one full mission with him. The objective was to disable a device before the turn timer expires in a map set on the streets of a Russian city. I brought my most experienced sharpshooter, my melee focused ranger, two grenadiers and a rookie. This turned out to be an amazing team, though I got lucky a couple of times.
My crew for the mission
I'm REALLY liking the sword attack of my ranger... It's very powerful and highly accurate. When I only had one enemy left, an Advent officer, I used the skulljack device on it. This was a mission I had for a while, but it's very difficult to pull off because of everything that goes on in a battle. I succeeded here, but to my surprise, it summoned a new enemy, a Codex.

Codex are weird digital ladies with lots of HP. When hit, they clone themselves. Unfortunately, this means more enemies to fight... Fortunately, they also lose half their HP when they clone, so it makes them easier to destroy. This was a very satisfying battle. I was careful, but still moved quickly. Some of my troops were injured, but no one died, and I got a few promotions along the way. Having a 5th soldier definitely helped a whole lot...