February 24, 2016

XCOM 2

Date played: February 23rd
Platform: PC

I played two missions last night. In the first, I was tasked with destroying an alien device. While the map was rather simple, the enemies were quite a challenge. There were 2 Archons, the floating, melee experts with high HP, 4 Cortex ladies that clone, a few Advent soldiers and a couple of Sectoids.

The soldiers and Sectoids weren't too much trouble, but the Archons and Cortex gave me some trouble. Thankfully, I hacked into a tower that allowed me to mind control an Archon for 2 turns. With him, I damaged a Cortex and the alien device, while also diverting fire from my soldiers. While this helped a lot, the cloning Cortex became a problem... While they didn't have much HP left, there was a few too many of them. It took a bit of luck and lots of careful planning to get it right and survive their attacks.
Victoria Everglot turned into a real badass after joining XCOM
Back on the Avenger, I started building an Advanced Warfare Center and expanded my comms system to make more contacts in the world. The AWC will allow my soldiers to heal faster and may grant them a random bonus ability when they level up. The faster healing is why I bought it, since I often have too many wounded soldiers to really use the team I want.

Finally, I took out another Avatar facility to bring the project's meter down one notch. This mission wasn't too hard, in fact, I was careful enough that I didn't take a single hit during the whole thing. I carefully plotted forward to defeat the robotic enemies, laser turrets and Archon. I then planted the explosives with a ranger and got the hell out of there before reinforcements arrived. It alleviated a bit of pressure from the Avatar Project. I'm now working on contacting more regions to complete more of the main missions. I'm also very close to completing the Psi lab, so I'll have the option of training soldiers into a new class soon.