February 25, 2016

Rocket League

Date played: February 24th
Platform: PC

While it had been available on PS4 a little while ago, I never got to try the Snow Day special playlist. It was added to the PC playlist yesterday, so I decided to finally give it a go. Snow Day changes the ball into a puck that slides around the field! It's a surprising mode that is lots of fun, but also VERY different from the normal game.
Rocket Hockey?
The biggest change here is that the puck doesn't lift up in the air very much, so plays are much more direct. For example, rushing head first into the puck when you know another player will hit it first is more useful than in the normal game, since the puck's movement is easier to predict than the ball. Wall play is also a lot faster, and less aerial. Many times, goals were scored by pushing the puck up the walls at high speed, letting it glide to the opposing team's zone. Since the puck moves faster than the ball, it led to many shot opportunities. Finally, when the puck does lift, it is very difficult to hit accurately, simply because of it's shape. I liked this mode a lot, though it's not nearly as good as the regular game.

I then played many more matches, but on regular 3 vs 3. I was allright, but I played against a lot of skilled players. Some of my losses were heart-wrenching, while the wins were adrenaline-pumping. In one particular match, I scored the only goal, and it was during overtime! That felt pretty good.