February 22, 2016

XCOM 2

Date played: February 21st
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 10/10

I've had a busy weekend, having time only for a few rounds of Rocket League here and there, so when I sat down to play XCOM 2 last night, I was really happy. I managed to play 3 missions, and honestly, I should have stopped after 2 of them because I lost precious sleep...

Anyway, the first mission was actually really easy compared to some of the other stuff I've had to do. I had to either kidnap or kill an enemy VIP. I stayed in concealment a lot longer than usual for this mission, since I couldn't find the enemies at first. When I did though, I had everyone on overwatch and in great position. When I finally pulled the trigger, it unleashed a hail of gunfire from all my guys and I killed most of the enemies in one shot. I only had a couple of stragglers to deal with after.

The next mission was definitely harder. This time, I had to just clear an area, but I took advantage of the presence of Codex enemies to skulljack one, one of my main mission objectives. I had a lot of lower ranked soldiers that I'm trying to level up, so I had to be doubly careful. As soon as I skulljacked the target, a new type of enemy appeared, the Avatar.

If I'm understanding this correctly, production of these bodies is the ultimate goal of the Avatar project. As combatants, they are extremely dangerous. They have high HP, can mind control my soldiers, can teleport, has a large bomb attack and packs a powerful punch with it's weapon... I was careful and patient, and I took it down. I was rewarded with 4 fewer notches on the Avatar Project's meter. Fuck yeah baby!

I spent some time contacting new regions, building a power core and tons of other little things. I've even got a new psionics lab being built where I'll be able to train some soldiers to use psionic abilities. That's when the unthinkable happened.... The Avenger, our flying fortress and base of operations, was shot down by an alien UFO!
The Avenger is shot down by a UFO
Thankfully, it wasn't destroyed, since the aliens wanted to capture it intact. However, it was pinned to the ground by the aliens who launched a relentless attack against us. This mission was unlike any other... I mean, these guys were fucking swarming me from every direction. They were trying to board the Avenger and I had to hold them off, while also damaging a device that was just out of range.

I swear, I must have killed more than 30 enemies during this mission. There were fucking reinforcements every turn., and not just little advent soldiers either! There were Berserkers, Sectoids, an Archon, armored robots and even a new type of enemy, Chryssalids. These horrific creatures attack with melee, move quickly and can poison my soldiers. I took them out without too many problems with grenades and long shots, but it was still very dangerous.

The coolest part of this mission is that I was provided with additional troops to hold off the aliens as the battle went on. At one point, I must have had 9 soldiers on the field, as opposed to the usual 6. Unfortunately, that wasn't enough to save Jane Kelly, my most experienced ranger. She died a hero, protecting her fellow soldiers, the Avenger, XCOM and humanity as a whole RIP Jane Kelly.

Normally, I would have reloaded the save game and tried again, but I honestly think I had no other choice in this one. Someone was gonna die, and I'm lucky I lost only one. After the battle, many on my crew earned promotions. I also upgraded their armor to use stronger materials, granting more defense. I even bought a couple of nice skills from the combat academy.