May 6, 2015

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Date played: May 5th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

I finished Wolfenstein: The New Order!

The last few levels were filled with action and many challenges. Having crash landed right into a Nazi building in London. I had to fight my way through hordes of enemies to meet up with my friends. The first battle in the level was really tough for me because I barely had any ammo. It took me a few tries before I managed to make it out of that one safely. After going down many levels in the building, I reached a crazy boss, the London Monitor.

The London Monitor is a huge robot with machine guns, rockets and a giant laser beam. It was a really cool fight since I had to hide in small tunnels then come out to attack the giant laser beam when it was made visible. This allowed me to attack the rocket launchers. After the rockets were all destroyed, I could hit the engine and take it out for good.

It turns out, the Nazis had found our headquarters and captured most of our crew. As the entire place burned, I saw many of my comrades die. There were a couple of very good story scenes during this mission, though combat was really limited and there wasn't much to actually do during the mission. Four of us managed to jump into a helicopter and reach the submarine equipped with the nuke.

The final mission was absolutely perfect in every way! William "B.J." Blazkowicz made his final assault on Deathshead's compound. There were many, many difficult battles here, but thankfully, I was fully equipped with all weapons and ammo, so I put my incredible arsenal to good use. In a traumatic scene, our hero gets captured and injected with some kind of bad chemical substance. He still manages to escape and find his friends. All that is left is to kill Deathshead.

Good boss battles are rare in this day and age, with most games favoring style over substance. Wolfenstein offers a refreshingly retro final boss fight. Deathshead rides into a large bipedal mech and attacks B.J. with electrical weapons. He pulls his energy from the air using two large dirigibles that send the electricity in the air into the mech. In the first half of the battle, I had to take out the dirigibles while avoiding the attacks. This part was cool, but relatively easy. Shit got real when the damaged mech went underground.
Fuck you Deathshead. Fuck you.
The last battle was a straight up firefight against the mech. He hit really fucking hard and has long range. The arena has some walls for cover, but it wasn't enough to stay in one spot safely. To add to the difficulty, there was some fire blowing from some pipes and stuff... I died at least 4 times before I was finally careful enough to defeat him. In an epic ending, B.J. stabs Deathshead in the gut, when the villain pulls out a grenade that detonates right away. B.J. gets badly injured, enough that he simply gives the order to his friends to launch the nuke and destroy the Nazi compound, himself included.

Wolfenstein: The New Order was a surprisingly good game and I'm really happy I played it. It's well made, the story was cool, the weapons were lots of fun, there's a streak of insanity throughout the whole game and on top of it all, it was satisfyingly violent. Good job, Wolfenstein.