May 14, 2015

Axiom Verge

Date played: May 13th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

Axiom Verge has to be one of the coolest games of the generation. I picked up the remote drone, or R.D., a little quadruped creature equipped with a laser that can squeeze through tight spaces and can be thrown by Trace. This opens up a ton of areas to explore and discover, as well a myriad of new secrets. This thing can fight too and because of it's small size, it can be easier to avoid enemy projectiles. It has it's own health bar that is replenished when Trace calls it back to him. What's even cooler is that R.D. can access other rooms, leaving our hero behind.

Armed with my new drone, I continued to explore until I found a new gun, the Hypo-Atomizer. This thing shoots normal bullets, but they also shoot out perpendicular bullets at set intervals, allowing me to shoot enemies on higher floors or by shooting below them slightly. It's kind of hard to aim properly, but is very versatile. That's when I got to fight the next boss, a giant fucking scorpion with a shitload of guns on it's back.

I died twice trying to hit the boss, but I soon figured out I could hit the boss from below by crouching an shooting under the the dangerous arthropod's thorax. After I figured that out, all I had to do was dodge the large bullets and keep shooting at it. In the next rooms, I activated some drones that will help repair the large electronic lady-thingies.
Every boss is amazing in Axiom Verge!
I continued to explore and found a grapple! This thing allows Trace to grab onto rocky surfaces and swing from side to side, reaching new, higher areas. I spent a lot of time exploring, using my new devices. I found a large area that ends up being a sort of hub that has entrances into most areas. I found a ton of little secrets, upgraded my health and even made my way back to the first area of the game. I have a higher level glitch gun too, which can be used to access new areas. I'm kind of overwhelmed by all the amazing stuff I can do and all the new places to explore. I love Axiom Verge!