May 18, 2015

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Date played: May 18th
Platform: Wii
Session fun rating: 8/10

The pirate ship has been explored and conquered! I played through the dungeon set aboard an old pirate ship. Most of the puzzles revolved around using a timeshift crystal on top of the vessel's mast. This would allow me to move between two completely different versions of the ship at will. First, I had to save the crew, as promised to the robotic captain who led me there. To do this, I had to solve a variety of puzzles, but also a battle against a pirate captain!

This pirate battle was pretty weird, as it took place entirely on a linear plane. Link had to push him off the edge, while the pirate tried to push Link back towards some deadly spikes. I blocked the dude's attacks, then retaliated to push him off, slowly but surely. I saved the crew, but more importantly, I scored the motherfucking bow! It feels incredible that over 30 hours into a Zelda game, I just now got the bow, but I understand why it was held back until the end. The bow is incredibly powerful and has huge range, making it my new favorite item.
Tentalus was a really cool battle

I pushed on and made it to the boss room of the dungeon. The battle was against Tentalus, a giant tentacled cyclops that rules the sea. His tentacles attacked from below deck, destroying the ship as the battle went on. I took out it's tentacles with my new bow, shot the beast's single eye, then moved in close when it was stunned to deal heavy damage with my sword. It was a really cool fight, even if the monster looks a little weird. I got the second sacred flame and am ready to learn another song and find the last flame.

I went back to town, got some chests, upgraded the bow fully and bought the last adventure pouch. I also played a cool mini-game on Fun Island where I fell from the sky, aiming for rings, avoiding balls and landing on a rotating wheel of prizes. It took me a couple of tries, but I got the best result possible and scored a piece of heart for my efforts. I have a ton of little side quests waiting for me in town too...