May 19, 2015

Axiom Verge

Date played: May 18th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I finished Axiom Verge, and it was one of the best games I've ever played. No fucking joke. This game is absolute genius.

Using my new teleport-to-drone ability, I made my way to a new area. There wasn't much to do there except traverse the environment, killing smaller enemies, until I reached the end and drilled through some rock to find the godly Red Coat. This thing lets Trace teleport through up to three squares away, but also deals high damage at the same time, it can even break bricks!

Armed to the teeth, I set out for the final area of the game. I took on some of the nastiest enemies yet, speedy drones with high damage. After a lot of teleporting and tricky navigation, I reached a boss called Sentinel. The robot hangs from the ceiling and shoots out tons of projectiles. I just spammed my strongest weapons on him until he died. It wasn't pretty, but it worked.

I met up with Elsenova, now equipped with her freaky, weapon-filled body. She is incredibly impressive to look at, and very scary. She showed me the way to the area where Athetos is hiding. I made my way through the very vertical section of the map. It wasn't too long before I faced off directly against Athetos. While he explained bits of the story, most of it was kind of hard to understand, so I just got on with the shooting.

Elsenova pulverizes Athetos
The final battle was really cool. Athetos sends out an infinite number of large drones that spew out projectiles. I had to hit the "breach", a small vulnerable area at the top of the screen, whenever I could. I died once, but on my second attempt, I used the green electricity shotgun to destroy the drones quickly, then used the first weapon of the game to hit the breach. It worked like a charm. Elsenova used her incredible firepower to deal heavy damage when I created an opening for her. Together, we destroyed the breach, and Elsenova killed Athetos with a giant laser beam. Trace woke up, uninjured, as if he had never reached the creepy world of Axiom Verge. He quit his job and started working on ways to get back to the world of Elsenova...

Axiom Verge really is an incredible game in every way. I can't believe it was done by a single man, Thomas Happ. Thank you Mr. Happ for making one of the most refreshing, fun and beautiful games ever made.