May 4, 2015

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Date played: May 3rd
Platform: Wii
Session fun rating: 10/10

I had very little time to play video games this weekend, but I did manage to find some time on Sunday morning to play Zelda with my daughter. We played through the entire Ancient Cistern dungeon and found the first sacred flame. I also completed a few side quests back in Skyloft.

The dungeon was easily the best in the game so far. In the center of the dungeon lies a huge statue surrounded by water. I had to make my way through the dungeon's rooms to reach the top of the statue and fight the boss. Many of the puzzles here revolved around the use of water. I also got a new toy to play with, a whip. This cool, motion controlled whip can be used to pull on specific devices that act as "buttons" of sorts. It can also be used to attack certain enemies and flip over some floating plants.

Koloktos is a really fun boss battle
There was also a whole underground cavern section to the dungeon where I fought "zombie" goblins. After some deft maneuvering and some clever use of the whip, I reached the boss. This fight is very well designed. The large, evil automaton swings his 6 giant arms around, attacking Link with a variety of bladed weapons. When he attempts to smash Link with one of his agile limbs, I dodged and pulled at the hinges of the being with the whip. This would eventually reveal his weak spot in his chest where I could attack with the sword. The second phase of the battle was even tougher as he spawned some goblins periodically and used different attacks. I even got to pick up some of his weapons to hack his legs off and strike it's heart.

As a reward for winning the battle, I got my first sacred flame, which made the sword twice as strong and made it longer. I must now find the second song and the second flame. I went back to town and completed a few sidequests, including a (difficult) duet where Link plays the harp and the pumpkin chick sings, the bamboo cutting challenge and finding a wheel of "fun" for a clown on an island... I also upgraded my bug net and seed pouch, got a bigger wallet from the monster under the town and flirted with the item check girl.