May 8, 2015

The Crew demo

Date played: May 8th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 6/10

I played a demo for The Crew, Ubisoft's open world racing game. While the concept is really cool, I didn't enjoy the game as much as I expected. Surprisingly, there's a story in this game about a guy who starts working with the FBI to catch the two people responsible for his brother's murder. The whole game seems to be about infiltrating the gang to reach the top and capture the bad guys. It's a nice addition overall, but it makes everything a little slower. In fact, a lot of things about The Crew are a little slow. There are too many little cut-scenes everywhere and not enough action, at least in the demo version.

I played a few missions. I got to drive a pickup truck in some rural areas, which was pretty fun but kinda sluggish. Then I drove a muscle car that was a lot more fun, but there's always a little something that bugs me about the handling physics. Finally, I got to choose a car, so I went with a Nissan 370Z. I got to tune it a bit and personalize it, then took it out for a couple of races. Overall, The Crew seems competent, but it just doesn't handle right to me. It looks rather pretty and the size of the map seems absolutely insane, but I'm not feeling it.