May 3, 2015

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

Date played: May 2nd
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 8/10

I traded a few games while shopping yesterday and my eye fell on the budget priced Kirby game for Wii U, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse to play with my girlfriend. We had a great time when we played Kirby's Epic Yarn back in 2011, so I have high hopes for this one. We ended up playing through the first 3 levels and the first boss together last night.

The game plays like no other console game out there, thanks to clever use of the Wii U gamepad. Basically, I don't have direct control over Kirby. I must draw lines of color on the tablet to make a path for Kirby. He sticks to the path, which means loops and other tricky maneuvers are possible, even required. I can tap on Kirby to make him perform a dash attack, or hold the stylus on him to make him use his super power that makes his extra big and strong for a short time. It's a weird fucking concept, but it works rather well so far.

Yay!
The second player controls one of Kirby's friends with a traditional controller. This means that they can attack enemies easily compared to Kirby, but it's also a lot more difficult to navigate because they can't draw their own rainbow paths. There is some really clever level design here too. I sometimes had to draw a line to stop waterfalls. Other times, I had to build ramps to launch Kirby in the air from the momentum. Or loops to get stars. Or twisty paths to avoid or fight enemies. Etc, etc, etc. It was all really cool and fun.

On top of that, the graphics are absolutely stunning, using a beautiful clay look that makes the whole game feel like a giant diorama. It just kind of sucks that I can never really appreciate it in it's full glory as I always have to keep my eye on the smaller Gamepad screen instead of the TV. The music is also very good.

The boss was the infamous tree that has showed up in many Kirby games. Had it not been for my girlfriend's trusty spear attacks, I would have had a lot more trouble. We died the first time we tried it, but our second run was almost flawless. I'm liking this game a lot, but sometimes it's really difficult to get Kirby to go exactly where I want him to go...