May 2, 2015

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Date played: May 1st
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 8/10

I completed the snowy mine area. There were fewer levels than in the other mansions... I explored the depths of the mine by using some portals that could be activated with the flashlight. This led me down a huge tunnel that Luigi used as a slide! Eventually, I discovered that the Boos had been capturing regular ghosts and putting them inside large crystals. This somehow transformed them to become stronger than ever. Thankfully, I had collected enough money to get the final upgrade to the vacuum which made MUCH faster to capture ghosts. It's been really useful...

In the meantime, we tracked the dark moon piece to a workshop on the nearby mountain. To get there, I had to use a cannon inside a gondola to melt pieces of ice that blocked the way. However, nasty ghosts decided to put some chains on the door to the gondola, so I had to hunt them down through the level to defeat them and release the chains. When I got to the workshop, I fought another boss!
I beat the shit out of this boss!
This one was really weird as the battle was almost entirely in first person view. The possessor boss turned itself into some sort of ice drill and was burrowing deep under the mountain. I chased after it on a sled equipped with a bomb launcher. I had to destroy the creature's ice armor by throwing bombs at the right time. It was pretty cool, but the aiming wasn't the best. I got my dark moon piece and will discover the final mansion next!