May 13, 2015

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Date played: May 11th
Platform: Wii
Session fun rating: 8/10

I made some real progress in Skyward Sword. I got a new song for the harp and went on to search for the next trial, and eventually the second sacred flame. I used my sword's dousing ability to find the secret spot in the Lanayru desert. After poking around for a while, I found the spot and completed the second trial. Again, I had to gather petals of a flower in the silent realm, avoiding the dangerous vigils that can kill in one hit. This one was easier for me than the one in the forest, though I had some trouble with a mine cart that I had to push out of the way while avoiding water rising around it.
The Clawshot

My reward was the amazing Clawshot item. This thing allows Link to grapple onto special targets scattered in the world, but also to any vines. I used my new item to reach a whole new area of the desert, the Sand Sea. This place used to be a large sea, filled with water, but has since become a huge desert. Using the time distorting crystals, I woke up a robot captain and found a small boat. He told me that I would be able to find the sacred flame with his help, but he needs to find his ship and crew first.

The crystal being on the boat itself, it creates a weird mechanic where water appears in a radius around the boat, allowing me to navigate the old sea at will. I followed the captain's directions to find his sea chart that will help us find the crew and ship. Using my new Clawshot, I climbed atop some giant spires of rock to find the sea chart in an old house.